This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code

I work for a company, that untill last week had a dress code that basically had us wearing business casual attire. The dress code has been this way for years. We, as a company were informed that as of August 1st we are required to wear black pants and white shirts at all times. Can they change something like this, and not provide us with either the "uniform" or and expense account to get the proper uniform they want us in? When I was hired the dress code was actually given to me in writing. Our studios are located all over the U.S.. My own is in Missouri, and our home office is in Minneapolis.
    Thank you!

Dress Code

While some states require that employers provide a uniform, requiring that employees wear a common outfit such as black pants and a white shirt is not considered unreasonable. The only prohibition in most states is that the employer must not require a uniform without giving sufficient notice. If a requirement is in a made in a relatively short period of time, the employer must be careful that the cost of the uniforms does not cause the employee to fall under minimum wage for that pay period. It sounds as if your employer has given you sufficent notice.

On the issue of having the policy in writing at the time of hire, it could be seen as a "contract" should the original policies not have a disclaimer saying that the policies can be changed. However, to enforce that "contract", you will need to pursue your employer in court, a potentially expensive situation.
    Last edited by LConnell; 06-19-2005, 09:35 AM.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X