This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking pay away

hello please advice me if my employeer c an take my pay away.

I have been working for the company for 7 years and in the month of december they told me that since my permit expired that they are going to demote me and then take my pay away.

I did not sign a contract stating my pay will be taking away

Looking around this site I am getting mix messages. can they if not how can I tell them that its no right to take my pay way.
    thank you for all that you do. Happy new year to you and wish you the best of luck in 2006

By "taking pay away" I take it you mean having your wages lowered?

This is entirely legal. Nothing in the law says you have to sign a contract giving them permission to do so. Unless you have a contract that says they CAN'T lower your pay, they can. The only requirement in most states is that they must give you notice of the decrease in pay before you work any hours at the lower rate.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg
      By "taking pay away" I take it you mean having your wages lowered?

This is entirely legal. Nothing in the law says you have to sign a contract giving them permission to do so. Unless you have a contract that says they CAN'T lower your pay, they can. The only requirement in most states is that they must give you notice of the decrease in pay before you work any hours at the lower rate.
      Hello, so basically they can take away my pay by giving me notice. Can you tell me how much of a notice should I receive? Also if they do take my pay away. can I make up the diffrence in unemployment? reason being I will be taking a huge hike almost like 3/4 dollars an hour.
      thanks

Comment

In most states, as long as they tell you when you clock in the first day of the decrease, that's enough.

You MIGHT be able to get partial unemployment to cover some of the balance. In my state you can. In any case, it can't hurt to try. All they can say is no.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Illinois Labor Law

I was put on leave of absence with pay in Illinois. However, My check was reduced drastically and I was not notified of the reduction. Is this legal? Thanks

Comment

Duplicate post answered elsewhere.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X