X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaborLawNJ
    replied
    They can make you take an upaid lunch, it would be a condition of employment which employers are free to establish and modify as they see fit.

However, you have to be paid for all hours worked. In other words, if you do not take the lunch and you work, you have to be paid for that time.

Hope this Helps!!

Regards.

Leave a comment:

• amlw
    replied
    Apologies, I made a mistake in my below statement. We work 8:30 - 5:00 and are paid for 7.5 hours (one hour mandtory deduction for lunch). Can they make a 1 hour lunch break - without pay - mandatory?

I am also employed in NJ. Our employer recently imposed a "mandatory" one hour deduction of wages for all employees for lunch - whether you take lunch or not. So if we work from 8:30 - 5:00 we are paid for only 8.5 hours.

However, they do not want us to use that hour to leave early or arrive late. If we are not being paid for the time, and truly do not wish to have a one hour lunch break, can the simply not pay us for that hour?

Leave a comment:

• amlw
    replied
    Lunch in NJ

I am also employed in NJ. Our employer recently imposed a "mandatory" one hour deduction of wages for all employees for lunch - whether you take lunch or not. So if we work from 8:30 - 5:00 we are paid for only 8.5 hours.

However, they do not want us to use that hour to leave early or arrive late. If we are not being paid for the time, and truly do not wish to have a one hour lunch break, can the simply not pay us for that hour?

Leave a comment:

• LaborLawNJ
    replied
    Unless you are a minor, an employer in NJ is not required to give you a lunch break or any break for that matter.

Regards.

Leave a comment:

• nbradley
    started a topic Required Lunch Breaks In New Jersey

Required Lunch Breaks In New Jersey

I am employed in the state of New Jersey. It is stated that employees working 8 hours a day a required to receive a half hour lunch break. Apparently managers can change rules whenever they feel the need. A memo was issued to all salary employees that our new work hours are from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., making it a 9 hour work day. Does the law mention anything about extended lunch breaks for over 8 hour work days??

N. Bradley
    New Jersey
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X