This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlighting rule in Indiana

I am really needing some factual tips on state laws for Indiana. I work a full time job for a hospice organization and recently starting working another part-time job in the evening. My question is, can I get fired for picking up a second job? I have looked all over the internet for state laws pertaining to my question and can not find anything on this matter! I really need help and somebody to point me in the right direction! I also would like to have the actual state law in black in white just in case my primary employer confronts me on this issue. Please somebody help me!!!

s. story

My question is, can I get fired for picking up a second job? It could happen.

I have looked all over the internet for state laws pertaining to my question and can not find anything on this matter! That's because there aren't any.

Here's the thing. The great majority of employers don't care whether an employee holds a second job as long as the job does not result in a conflict in interest, limit the employee's availability for overtime or interfere with their regular work hours, and doesn't impair the employee's job performance (i.e. too exhausted from working the second job.)

A conflict in interest would develop if you were working for a customer, supplier, or competitor of your primary employer.

I don't know why you're so concerned about this or worried that your primary employer is going to "confront" you about your second job but why not just discuss it with your boss or HR and put the issue on the table? The odds are in your favor that they won't care as long as your second job doesn't cause any problems.

Comment

thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate it!

s. story

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X