Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Louisiana - Forced Direct Deposit or No Pay?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisiana - Forced Direct Deposit or No Pay?

We received this notice:

[...] "The last paper checks will be issued on 6-30-05. If you don't have a checking account, you have 2 weeks to get one. Most banks offer free checking. If I don't have your account information by the end of June, you will not be able to get paid in July until I get that info."

Is it ok for my employer to force this payment method on me?

-OrleansBarkeep

Forced Direct Deposits

Some states prohibit mandatory direct deposit. Louisiana is not one of them. It is unfortunate because some employees are not able to get checking accounts without incurring considerable costs (if they can obtain one at all).
    LConnell
    Last edited by LConnell; 06-16-2005, 02:07 PM.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Thank you..

Too bad the answer's not in the direction I would have liked.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

Mandatory Direct Deposit

Does anyone know where I can find a list of states that do allow employers to make direct deposit mandatory for payroll?

Comment

Direct Deposit

Have you looked at this website: http://www.directdeposit.org/ddcons3.html
          Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
          www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

Direct Deposit in SC?

Can anyone tell me if in the state of South Carolina, an employer can REQUIRE you fet direct deposit, or risk being fired?

I read the law...but it's not real clear to me...

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t41c010.htm
            mel34
            Last edited by mel34; 11-19-2005, 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

First off, Mel, post your question ONCE. Do not spam it all over the board.

I read the link you posted as saying mandatory direct deposit IS permitted, although I agree it is not clear. You are free to call the state DOL for clarification.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Direct Deposit

I didnt realized I was all over the board...this is my first time ever on here, and I thought I was in separate areas.

I have been doing research all day and found with my agency has been sued in the passed for not giving the employee the details of the employment before hiring. So, I think I have a strong caes here. If not for demanding Direct Deposit, then for NOT TELLING ME BEFORE I STARTED.

Comment

The same people reply to all the employment law forums. Posting the same question more than once will not provide you with more or different answers, and is a waste of both your time and ours.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

If I had known that, then I wouldn't have posted more than once.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X