Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Laid off today with a question

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laid off today with a question

    I live in California and went in to work today where my boss said "I am making a change at your position" and handed me two handwritten checks, one for vacation and one for hours worked. There was nothing attached explaining hours worked at what pay rate nor were any taxes taken out. The main problem is I believe in the state of california, you must pay an employee for 4 hours just for showing up the day you fire/lay him off. He did not. Any tips thoughts? The guy is a real ***** so I'd like to throw some red tape his way.

  • #2
    If you are non-exempt:

    (A) Each workday an employee is required to report for work and does report, but is not put to work or is furnished less than half said employee's usual or scheduled day's work, the employee shall be paid for half the usual or scheduled day's work, but in no event for less than two (2) hours nor more than four (4) hours, at the employee's regular rate of pay, which shall not be less than the minimum wage.
    Michael Tracy

    Disclaimer: The above response is a general statement of the law and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It only assumes the facts that are stated in the message. The above response does not serve to form an attorney-client relationship.


    • #3
      The employer also has to provide a pay stub or other document, showing such things as hours worked/paid, pay rate, gross pay, all taxes and deductions. See Section 226 here:
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.