Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Personal vehicle use

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Personal vehicle use

    San Antonio, TX

    I am employed in a small office (2 people). Part of my job description is to make bank deposits and send out certified mail for delivery. The association owns a vehicle in which the other person I work with is included in the insurance policy as an authorized driver, but they will not include me as a driver. I have to use my personal vehicle to conduct this business, up to 3 times a week for an average of 15 miles round trip. Is my employer required to reimburse me for use of my vehicle for company business? I have been keeping a mileage log for each business related trip.

  • #2
    There is no law in Texas that requires the employer to reimburse you for any business-related expenses you incur. It's possible that you could deduct some of this on your 1040 though, as unreimbursed business expenses, if the amount is in excess of 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. I do recommend you see a tax advisor though.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Reply to post

      Thanks for the information; I wanted to be sure of any law regarding this before I attempted to ask for reimbursement.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.