This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salaried Attendance Policy in TX

Hi, I'm a newbie here with, hopefully, a simple question.

I work in a department that has all salaried employees, exempt professionals I believe, and I've been given the task of writing a new attendance policy for the group. The way our company policy is is that any time you miss work you need to use your vacation or take-off without pay. This doesn't seem right to me if someone needs to take off to go to the doctor or deal with kids or anything that must be done during regular business hours. We are given two weeks of vacation a year and no other time for sick days or "floating days." I'm trying to write this new policy and I can't find what our rights are for an exempt position. Please send me in the right direction to find the answers I need.

An exempt employee CAN be held to an attendance policy. An employer CAN require that you use vacation or personal time to cover partial day absences.

They CANNOT be docked in partial day absences unless FMLA is involved; the employer MUST either pay them for the time or apply sick, vacation or personal time to the absence.

They CANNOT be docked for missing time due to illness UNLESS there is also a legitimate sick time policy with a reasonable number of sick days.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

First you need to determine whether these really are exempt individuals, because there are only certain times you can dock pay.
      http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.118.htm

It is not illegal to substitute vacation or sick time for partial day absences for exempt employees. However, if the employee is not yet eligible for paid time off, or has exhausted their available time, you still must pay them for the full day if they worked any portion of the day. So, "time off without pay" for exempt employees for a partial day is not allowed, except in the case of intermittent FMLA.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X