Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you be forced to work overtime? (NJ)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be forced to work overtime? (NJ)

Hi everybody,

I currently work every other Saturday at work and I'm paid overtime for that. However, it has been taking a huge chunk of time out of personal activities as I work 1.5 hours away, and for Saturdays I have to be in at 6am. This means every other Friday night, I can't do anything at all except sit home. It's very stressful.

Question is, can I be forced to work overtime? I am an hourly employee, not salaried if that is helpful. Additionally, I did not start out at this position doing overtime, nor did I sign a contract to say I would. The only stipulation I was given that occasionally I might be called to help out and be called in on a weekend for support issues (I'm in IT, so it's understandable the 'on-call' nature of the job).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hercules; 11-28-2005, 05:32 AM.

Except for the fact that no one can force you to work, the employer can certainly make overtime mandatory, and can discipline you to up and including termination, if you refuse. And not agreeing to it at the time of hiring is really not relevant; since you do not have a valid, enforceable employment contract prohibiting such overtime, the employer is free to change the requirements as business needs dictate.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd
      Except for the fact that no one can force you to work, the employer can certainly make overtime mandatory, and can discipline you to up and including termination, if you refuse. And not agreeing to it at the time of hiring is really not relevant; since you do not have a valid, enforceable employment contract prohibiting such overtime, the employer is free to change the requirements as business needs dictate.
      Thanks for the information. Time to look for a new job

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X