This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtime in SC

My daughter works in a hotel as a receptionist. Her boss had her working overtime but her told her that the hours that is overtime will be rolled over to the next paycheck I know he is doing this to avoid paying the overtime. Is this right. I don't know if he is changing the payweek. I do know he pays her ever Thursday. And if this is wrong can she legally tell she can't work the extra hours unless she gets paid these hours? This person is always finding ways of cutting corners. She really likes this job and does not want to quit.

Each workweek stands alone and hours cannot be "rolled over" into the next workweek in order to avoid paying overtime. That is a violation of federal wage and hour law (South Carolina has no such law of its own, but is required to comply with federal law in this instance). She can show him this:
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm

The only issue then, is what seven-consecutive-day period the employer defines as the work week (which they must do). That is the period that is looked at to determine if overtime is due because the employee worked more than 40 hours in that period. The following brochure gives contact information regarding questions and claims for overtime pay.
    http://www.llr.state.sc.us/pidocs/empbro.pdf
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X