This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-boss witholding check until he receives files

I am in RI and I left my job over a week ago because of a hostile work environment. I have some computer files (photos and work) that I have to send to the boss. He is witholding my final check until he gets these. Can he do this legally?

Legally, no he can't. But keeping company property is something you can't legally do either. Why don't you just return the property?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Oh I am. I just haven't had the time to get it together since it all has to be sent electronically. I am in the middle of another job at home. So I have no problem returning it, it is just that I can't do it right away. But he is holding the check until I give him the files.

Comment

When was your last day of work? And did you quit or were you let go?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Honestly, I walked out expecting to return the next day. I told him that I was going home and that I would be back tomorrow. He said that if I left to not come back the next day. I wasn't sure if he meant for good. He did. Either way, I can't collect and don't care. My mental health was taking a serious toll because of the hostility there. I am much better now but need my last check to make my mortgage. I left 11/16/05.

Comment

Either way, you must be paid by the regularly scheduled payday for the pay period which includes your last day worked. If that date has passed, you can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor. However, the employer may sue you civilly for the return of his property.

Comment

Thank you so much Patty. I am returning the photos I took and the files I made. I just haven't had time to do it. Even inbetween answering you I had to run out for errands. I really appreciate it. Do you know where I can find online the legal written words so when I ask for my check to be sent I can quote it word for word what the law is?

Comment

I didn't find it on the DOL website; I found it in one of my hard copy payroll reference sources.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X