X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beth3
    replied
    1. Our 12 hour shifts are unique in the company. All employee's get 10 days of vacation, we are subject to 84 hours because we do not work 8 hours days. I know vacation is a benefit but would this work the same if for some reason we where on STD or WC? Is a day 8 or 12 hours or an entire day without work no matter the amount of normally scheduled hours, especially because we are salary. If you are off work due to an occupational injury or illness, then temporary total disability benefits are paid as dictated by your State's laws and that is typically determined by your wage at the time you are injured and the average number of hours you work per week. As to STD benefits, you're going to have to ask your benefits person or review your STD Plan booklet.

2. A shift is scheduled overnight. This is staffed by 1 single person for 12 hours in a remote part of the building. Until recently when an employee suffered a heart attack there was no interaction at all during this shift with anyone other than work related phone calls. Now we have an emergency radio and security is supposed to do regular checks every 3 hours, which does not always happen. To me this is an unsafe working environment as even with the emergency radio it is atleast a 5 minute run from the nearest person in the building to our area, they happen to be the security desk. Also, it would highly doubt any member of the security staff is physically able to run that distance. This shift, other than training, has been single staffed for a couple years and remains so even after the co-workers heart attack...he still remains even though he could of easily died and hasn't for whatever reason sought legal council. Is this legal to have a single staffed remote environment or is it a hazardous working environment? If it is, is there anything that can be done even though we've worked in for 2 years even after explaining the issue to the many managers that have come and gone? Yes, it's legal to have a single staffed remote environment.

3. There is major show by the employer to promote education with such things being spoken and posted on their corporate site regarding tuition reimbursement, book procurement, training...ect. When things such as these are asked about we are told they are not available. I almost know the answer but I wanted a second opinion on this. Would refusal of such services even though plainly advertised constitute discrimination if it could be proven that others at one point in time recieved that benefit? Only if the decisions as to who receives the benefit and who does not are being made on the basis of race, gender, national origin, religion, and so on.

Could it be percieved as false and misleading advertising even though it's an employee "benefit" rather than a product? No.

Breach of contract if it was a determining factor in accepting this job over another as it would classify as false pretenses or baiting? Perhaps (and that's a real stretch) but one would have to reveiw the employer's actual policy as to who is eligible and who is not before forming a legitimate opinion.

Leave a comment:

• rebekahrei
    replied
    No Lunch

Is it mandatory by Minnesota State Law to provide a lunch break to an employee working 8-12 hour shifts ?

Leave a comment:

• PaPa1
    started a topic PA labor questions

PA labor questions

I work for a consulting firm in PA at a client site. I am classified as Salary non exempt. There are a few odd ways our account functions and I wanted to know if any where potentially unlawful. To give you a background, I work in PA at a client site with over 1k employee's, within 75 miles my employer has 2 offices which employ about 800 people. At the clients site our schedule rotates, 48 hours 1 week and 36 the other, 12 hour days. So here are my questions:

1. Our 12 hour shifts are unique in the company. All employee's get 10 days of vacation, we are subject to 84 hours because we do not work 8 hours days. I know vacation is a benefit but would this work the same if for some reason we where on STD or WC? Is a day 8 or 12 hours or an entire day without work no matter the amount of normally scheduled hours, especially because we are salary.

2. A shift is scheduled overnight. This is staffed by 1 single person for 12 hours in a remote part of the building. Until recently when an employee suffered a heart attack there was no interaction at all during this shift with anyone other than work related phone calls. Now we have an emergency radio and security is supposed to do regular checks every 3 hours, which does not always happen. To me this is an unsafe working environment as even with the emergency radio it is atleast a 5 minute run from the nearest person in the building to our area, they happen to be the security desk. Also, it would highly doubt any member of the security staff is physically able to run that distance. This shift, other than training, has been single staffed for a couple years and remains so even after the co-workers heart attack...he still remains even though he could of easily died and hasn't for whatever reason sought legal council. Is this legal to have a single staffed remote environment or is it a hazardous working environment? If it is, is there anything that can be done even though we've worked in for 2 years even after explaining the issue to the many managers that have come and gone?

3. There is major show by the employer to promote education with such things being spoken and posted on their corporate site regarding tuition reimbursement, book procurement, training...ect. When things such as these are asked about we are told they are not available. I almost know the answer but I wanted a second opinion on this. Would refusal of such services even though plainly advertised constitute discrimination if it could be proven that others at one point in time recieved that benefit? Could it be percieved as false and misleading advertising even though it's an employee "benefit" rather than a product? Breach of contract if it was a determining factor in accepting this job over another as it would classify as false pretenses or baiting?

I had a few more questions but forgot them, i've probably rambled enough. Just wanted to see what people with law backgrounds though of some of these, particulary the 12 hours alone at night.

Thanks
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X