This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory Logout - SC

I work for a call center in Columbia, SC. In recent months as call flow has decreased, agents, including myself, have been required to go off the clock in one hour increments. At times, I have been logged out for up to 4 hours with no pay. On thursday, November 24, 2005 Thanksgiving Day at 4:19pm I was forced to take an hour logout. After coming back to work at 5:19pm I was forced again to take another hour logout. At 6:10pm I was allowed to log back in. I logged out at 12:08am.

Up to this point I have dealt with the fact that the amount of customers calling dictates the amount of agents required to handle the calls. I am wondering if this is legal in the first place (I have not been able to find any mention in the Employee Handbook of mandatory logouts) and second if this is legal on a holiday that I was required to work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this has affected me financially, often cutting my hours to 60 every two weeks versus the usual 80 hours. Thanks again.

Need a few more details. Are you given a fixed time that you will not be needed? Or are you subject to being called to clock back in at any given time? Are you required to remain on the premises? Can you pursue personal activities during the time you are clocked out? How often does this happen in a day? In a week?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Mandatory Logout - SC

We are given fixed at least one hour increments (we are told how long at time of logout) that we will not be required. After the hour period we are required to check back in to see if we are needed yet, if not then another hour will be added. We are not required to remain on the premise and are allowed to pursue personal activities but we are obligated to check back in at the end of the said logout period. In a day I have been logged out for up to 80% of my shift which are 8 hours, but it can range from 20%-80% on any given day. On a weekly basis I have been losing from 10-20 hours per week.

Comment

That appears to be poor management, but I don't see a legal violation here. Since you can pursue personal activities, are not subject to call back during the fixed period, and can leave the premises, you are "waiting to be engaged" which is not compensable, instead of "engaged to be waiting", in which case they would have to pay you for those hours.

Call centers are tough, and this is one of the reasons turnover is so high. Hopefully you can get into another business where your hours are much more predictable.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Hey thanks alot for the info. I'm a college student so its not life or death but its still pretty frustrating when I can't go home for Thanksgiving because I have to work and then spend half of my shifts logged out. Have a good one.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X