Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMLA - Lost Job While On Maternity Leave (Arizona)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMLA - Lost Job While On Maternity Leave (Arizona)

I started with a law firm in late June 2005 and was 22 weeks pregnant (roughly) when I was hired and started work. I was taken off work late September due to complications with the pregnancy. I will be released to return to work in approx. 2 weeks and I emailed HR today and was told today that there is no job to return to.

Is this legal? I was on "unpaid medical leave" and didn't know I could lose my job when there had been no "write ups", no "complaints regarding work" or anything else.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas to my family, huh? Welcome to Unemployment.

Generally speaking, the employer does not have to return you to your position when you are able because you have not worked there long enough to qualify for job protection under the Family Medical Leave Act. You cannot be treated differently because you are pregnant, but neither does the employer have to let you come back if they would not do so for any other employee who was on an unpaid medical leave of absence for another reason. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. Good luck with the pregnancy.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X