This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer documenting "anonymous" web postings

Recently ran across a situation where a coworker went to a a meeting with management and was confronted with a stack of printouts from a website that people post to anonymously. One member of the management team is aware of my coworkers "anonymous" handle on this website and apparently has been trolling the site documenting the coworkers posts. A few of my coworkers posts mentioned situations at work but nothing which could identify the business or people being referred to. None of the information was ****ing but simply my coworker's interpretation and attempt to deal with upsetting events.
    This management team does not have direct supervisory role over my coworker. However they did issue a vague veiled warning that if one of their employees had written such things about them that they would fire the employee. Also suggested the posts be removed by my coworker.
    I have never heard of an employer claiming that anonymous posting on the internet with no identifiable information about the company or individuals was inappropriate. Seems like an invasion of privacy. I don't know though… lots of things that seem very wrong in the work world are perfectly legal.
    None of my writings on laborlawtalk.com are legal advice.
    If you want legal advice contact an attorney in your local area.

If it's out on a website, it's not private and there is no expectation of privacy. That's true of this site also.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X