This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IL vaction pay

I was let go in May with a severance package until Aug. When I was let go I ws taken into the owners office told I was being let go and I would get paid until Aug and I would also get any vacation time coming. I was not allowed to finish the day or what I was doing I was told to leave. I did not apply for unemployment at first as I thought I would not be elgible until Sept. While filing for state health insurance for my children I was told I was elgible for unemployment so I applied and recieved it. My former employer disputed several times that I was elgible for unemployment but lost . Now I am trying to collect the back vacation pay that is owed me. I have nothing in writing just what the owner said and what other employees had stated to me. I just learned that once again my former employer is disputing my claim for vacaton pay. What chances do I have to collect this back vacation pay?

Excellent, since in IL an employer is required by law to pay out any accrued but unused vacation time at termination. Contact the IDOL and file a complaint.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Well that is good news. I did file with the Illinois Labor Board back in October and I was infomed today that once again the company is disputing my claim and we will have to go before a review board. Anything I should read up on or be knowledgeable about before I have to to before the review board?

Comment

If you go to the IL DOL web site, and check out their FAQ section, you will be able to print out the specific law that requires employers to pay for earned but unused vacation time.

BTW, just so it's clear, they don't have to pay you for time you would have accrued but didn't because you left; only what you'd already accrued on your last day of work. In other words, if you get ten days a year and your last day is June 30 and you've used no vacation at all that year, they only have to pay you for five days, not the full ten.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I have not received the letter from the IL DOL but after reading your reply they probably disputing that I was asking for the full vacation I had left. We were given 2 weeks of which I had 10 days left and I was asking for the full ten days. I didint realize that I was not elgible for all of the vacation I had left

Thanks

Comment

That's probably the issue then.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X