This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-competition

I took a part-time job as a field supervisor for a staffing company in California in 2003. I signed a non-competition clause as condition of employment. After about a year, I started getting paychecks that were woefully inadequate or mailed very late or both. I contacted the general manager of the company and he assured me that he would rectified the problem personally. But it continued for about 3 months.
    In the middle of 2005, the company failed to pay me for 2 months of work or 4 pay periods, despite repeated calls to management. Each time they told me that the check was just mailed, they had to put a stop payment on my check, yada yada. I finally informed management by email that I would suspend my services to the company until I personally receive my paycheck in the correct amount. I never received my check nor did they even bother to contact me by any means. I was forced to resign despite sterling work ethic and history. I found out later on that they had done this to many other field employees and are facing a number of Labor Board complaints.
    I recently got an offer to work for a similar company on a part-time basis. Can my former employer use the non-competition clause to keep me from taking the job?
    Last edited by ace62; 11-19-2005, 12:26 AM. Reason: to include state

Didn't I answer this question already, either here or on another board? The details sound VERY familiar.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

You may have but this is my first time to ask this issue on any board. You may have replied to another employee of the same company, just guessing. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me your response to that similar post.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the last part of your post in which you asked about your non-compete agreement. Perhaps the other poster was asking what to do about not receiving paychecks, which is, of course, to file a claim for each and every missed paycheck immediately with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

You will have to have the non-compete agreement reviewed by an attorney. No one here can comment on an agreement we have not read in its entirety. However, I understand that it is very hard for a company to draft a non-compete that is enforceable in California; but an attorney can advise you after he/she reads the agreement.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 11-20-2005, 12:54 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X