X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indirect threats??

CA ~
    Now, I'm curious. I just had a VERY brief employment with a large, well known electronics company. At my hiring, the hiring manager was talking to me about employee theft, and told me he had put an employee away for 15 years in prison, then told me "don't **** with my store". Which seemed strange. THEN, at my orientation, the subject of theft came up again, and the person running the orientation told us a couple of things which seemed strange to me. First, we were told that any employee who was caught stealing would be paraded out in front of 2 straight lines of all the store's employees, and that they would call their parents and family down to watch as one was "dragged out in handcuffs." Now, I expressed disbelief and tried to explain that innocent until proven guilty was the normal procedure in America, but my comment was brushed aside. It seems this person then felt the need to express their point a bit more clearly, because we were then told something along the lines of this (this is a close to verbatim as I can get); " I'm not going to say who, and I'm not going to say at what store, but there have been employees who have been caught stealing that are taken into a back room, the cameras were turned off, and are beaten until they are crying and pissing on themselves." Well, I thought that was very very strange, and I'm sure my expression conveyed that. As orientation progressed, the trainer kept asking me if I "had anything to say" about a subject and things of that nature, which I can only assume was related to the amazed look on my face. 3 hours after the orientation, another employee and myself were pulled from the room into, alarmingly enough, a back room. In this room we were very very agressively confronted by the loss prevention manager. They seemed to think that my questioning of their procedures was "making light of" their loss prevention priorities. After barking at us for 5 minutes or so in a manner so agressive I am unable to properly convey it here, we were told that we can either go back into the orientation and start "showing some respect for our trainer and company policies" or we could fill out a timesheet and leave. The issue was decided for me when the person in the room with me said "Yes, Sir." Well, I don't apologize to anyone if I'm not in the wrong, so I opted to fill out the timesheet and leave. My question is, is this illegal? And if it is, what can I do about it?

No, it's not illegal. It's stupid and unfair, but not illegal. And, next time, it would behoove you to not be questioning the employer's policies and methods on your first day.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm not going to say who, and I'm not going to say at what store, but there have been employees who have been caught stealing that are taken into a back room, the cameras were turned off, and are beaten until they are crying and pissing on themselves. I don't for an instant believe that really occurred, do you?

I think your trainer took a ridiculous and absurd approach in trying to impress upon the new associates how seriously the store regarded employee theft but nothing that was said was illegal - just stupid.

Comment

Lame. Oh well. As far as "it would behoove you to not be questioning the employer's policies and methods on your first day." I'm sorry, but the beating and pissing thing, I fail to see how that is something that I should just smile and nod about.

Comment

I'm not sure I wouldn't have left, too. I'm just saying that expressing the opinion in public was probably not the way to go. What was said was definitely unacceptable, but I find it hard to believe it actually happens; more that it was the trainer's stupid way of getting a point across.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X