This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Requirements - Florida

Can your supervisors require you to do 'personal errands/work' for them during normal working hours and/or after hours?

Items such as, cleaning their yards, sitting in their house while they are having construction done, going to their house to see if someone has broken in because the alarm is going off, paying their bills, writing their checks, etc.?

I didn't want to make this too long, so if you need further information please ask.

Thanks!

Your employer can require you to do any tasks he sees fit as long as it does not violate the law or is unsafe by OSHA standards.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Well well well...I guess I will have to look into changing or creating new law I don't like being someone's slave

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Is he paying you?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes. I guess it is just a 'moral issue' with me.

Example - You go on an interview for a computer programming job. You are offered the position, negotiate a salary, start working and a few months down the road they start demanding you go to the president's house and clean it, babysit his dog, etc. None of which was mentioned in the negotiations. Of course, you can always quit, however, for low middle class families this is not always an option & I feel the employer was deceptive in his/her hiring practices.

I am not in the computer industry & although the field in my area is large it is also very small (everyone knows everyone). Overall I like the company I work for & luckily am not asked to do too many personal duties, however, I also don't feel the job I was hired to do includes driving by the President's house to make sure no one has broken in & I don't feel the employer should have the right to fire someone for refusing to do that, but that's probably just me.

Comment

No, it's not just you.

However, whether or not you or I or anyone else thinks it's right, the fact remains that it's legal.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X