Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

WA: Final Paycheck when employee owes company

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WA: Final Paycheck when employee owes company

    I recently quit my job with no notice. I owe the company back money for tuition reimbursements they provided me, which I signed an agreement stating I would pay back if I left before 3 years. Im okay with paying them back, but can they withhold my final paycheck until I pay back, or are they legally bound to give me the final check? I know they aren't planning on offsetting my final pay against my obligation to them, they already invoiced me the full amount I owe them.
    As well, If i quit on the 13th, and payday is the 15th for the 1st-15th time period, my interpretation is that they have to pay me on the next payday after I terminate, so the 15th? Was it too short of notice though and can they argue for the 30th?

  • #2
    They can argue for the 30th, but they wouldn't win. Any processing deadlines are irrelevant. They should have paid you on the 15th. Even if they had to do a manual check.

    Regarding repayment of tuition reimbursement, as long as you did not agree to having the amount deducted from your pay, they cannot do so. And even if you did, they cannot reduce your pay below minimum wage for the hours you worked in that pay period. Nor can they hold your check until you pay them back. These are two seperate issues.

    Contact the state Dept. of Labor if they do not comply with either one of these requirements.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Thanks for the info. The 15th I talk of was actually yesterday, so I'll see if a check shows up in the mail in the next day or 2.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.