This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overpaid by mistake in NYC

I work full time and my salary is based only on commissions. Due to a mistake by accounting , I was over paid for a total amount of over $7000.00, accumulated over a period of more than a year. Recently the company discovered the mistake and fired the accountant. Now they want that money back, even though I am not responsible for the mistake. Can they do that? Do I really have to return this money?

Yes, they really can, and yes, you really do. And they can file a civil suit against you for a judgment if you don't. Doesn't make any legal difference that it isn't your fault.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm about to go on maternity leave and might not go back to work. What would happen in this case, since I woud not be finished paying the money back?

Comment

Then they could file a civil suit for the balance if they want to. I would really try to pay it back before the end of the year, as repaymentsin subsequent years gets much more complex, taxwise.

Good luck with the baby!
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X