This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury Duty

Is Jury Duty required paid time off? Say an employee is required to go to Jury Duty, in a case that is taking so far 3 weeks. They are really only making it into work maybe 1 or 2 days a week. My question is, due to the fact that this person is losing out on so much pay, by not being here. How do they pay the bills? Say vacation time and sick leave have already been used.

I'm working from memory here, but I don't believe CA law requires an employer to pay their non-exempt employees for jury duty (only a very few states do, and even in those states the requirement is generally limited).

However, you are free to pay your employees who are serving on juries if you choose to.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Response

Thanks Cbg. That is what our policy currently states. "Employees will be grated time to conduct jury duty 'unpaid'." That is what I thought as well. I will confirm and post my findings.

Thanks again.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X