Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Paycheck problems in Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paycheck problems in Texas

    I recently started working for a company in Texas that has a lot of payroll problems. They seem to have a policy that if there is a mistake on your paycheck and the amount of the mistake isn't at least 25% of your 2 week gross, you must wait A MINIMUM of 2 weeks before you have your money.

    Is there anything in the law that would protect an employee in this situation? If I don't show up for work they can fire me. If I don't do work, I can't expect to be paid for it. Yet if they make a mistake (which happens A LOT), I am supposed to be penalized?

    I've heard many horror stories since I've began working there. Sometimes employees have to wait up to 4 weeks to get money that is due to them. Besides being fundamentally unfair and unethical, this seems like a warning sign to me. My only obvious choice is to find another job -- which I am willing to do since they seem to have so little respect for their employees.

    How long can I legally be made to go without wages that I've earned? What recourse (other than the obvious job hopping) do I have under state institutions or laws?
    Last edited by knightrd; 11-12-2005, 07:09 AM.

  • #2
    There is no specific law in Texas (nor most other states) that mandate a time frame within which paycheck errors must be corrected. However, you are free to contact the Texas Workforce Commission to see if they will help you.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.