This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military leave of absence California

If someone from our company leaves for active duty for 2 years and then returns, are we required to reinstate them in the same position?

Also if this is the case when they return are they to be treated as if they were an employee for the last two years in regards to: Benefits, vacation time, seniority rights, etc? Or is this specific to the employment terms.

If someone from our company leaves for active duty for 2 years and then returns, are we required to reinstate them in the same position? Yes, unless business conditions have changed so as to make that impossible.

Also if this is the case when they return are they to be treated as if they were an employee for the last two years in regards to: Benefits, vacation time, seniority rights, etc? Yes. Basically, you are required to treat them as though they never left as it relates to their pay, position, benefits, etc.

The applicable law is the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994. If you google "USERRA," you should get all the info you need regarding the employer's obligations.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks

Comment

displacement in California

What happens to perment employees who were promoted to fill the void left by a person who left on military leave for over six months. Is there any protection for them?

Comment

Not legally, no.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

So if I was promoted to a perm. management position filling a viod left by reservest who was activated, upon their return, I could be demoted or displaced? I have no legal standing?

Comment

No, not any more than any other employee who can be let go under the doctrine of at-will employment. Sorry.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X