This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They owe me money!

I was terminated from a job in MA where I had worked for only two months. Problem is that I was promised a sign on bonus (1/3 due at start, 1/3 in six months and 1/3 at 1 year - none of which was paid to me), I am owed one weeks pay, and I was also granted three weeks vacation at the start of which I took none. The company has not paid me any of this money owed to me. What sort of legal action should I take?

With regard to the week's worth of wages, I'd suggest contacting the wage & hour division of the Massachusetts Department of Labor. I believe that Massachusetts is a state that requires employers to pay employees for unused vacationd days (that's another question for DOL). I sincerely doubt that you'd receive three weeks worth if you only worked there for two months and would suspect that it would be pro-rated to what you would have accrued in those two months.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Markeeter, don't know for sure about MA (cbg will know), but even if required by law, NO state requires any more than earned so, yes, pro-rated.

In MA, the Attorney Generals' office acts as the Dept. of Labor. That is where you would file a claim for unpaid wages, if they are due yet. What was your last day worked/termination date?

Relative to the sign-on bonus, what type of agreement do you have? Is it just an offer letter? You can have it reviewed by an attorney to see if it rises to the level of a contract and, if so, if a breach has occurred.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Unless you have a bona fide contract that specifically states that you own the entire three weeks of vacation from day one (as opposed to being allowed to use it before it is actually accrued) I will be very surprised if the AG's office requires them to pay out three weeks of vacation to an employee who only worked for two months. However, under MA law, whatever vacation you DID accrue needs to be paid out.

I also doubt that you will need to be paid more than the first third of the sign on bonus, if that; however, it will depend entirely upon the exact wording of the agreement and whether or not it reaches the level of a contract.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X