This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickname on time card

Is it against the law in NY to use a nickname at thet op of your time card and sign your legal name at the bottom. We have been doing this a while at work and have no objection to using our real names. I am just curious as to the legal obligations for reporting a persons name on their time card. The person thta told us it is not legal has a long history of making up laws to stop people from having fun. I have caught him doing it numerous times and would love to tell him he is making this one up.

THanks
    Scott

The person thta told us it is not legal has a long history of making up laws to stop people from having fun. Well, he's at it again then. Your employer can put "Buggs Bunny" on the top of your time card if they wish to. As long as they can identify that as YOU if the payroll records and timekeeping records are audited and you're being paid accurately, no laws are violated.

By the by, instead of you and your co-workers scrambling around to find what the law really says the next time this clown announces what some law does or doesn't require, tell him that as soon as he brings in a copy of the law he's referring to, you'll be glad to review it.

Comment

While I agree with Beth as to the legalities involved, unless the nickname at the top of the card is something like Joe while you sign Joseph, I can't help wondering if the reason he wants you to stop this practice is not because he wants you to stop having fun, but because it's causing a problem for payroll to figure out who's who. Not everyone's signature is legible, making the name at the top of the card of some importance trying to figure out who worked what hours.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yeah I know what you are saying about it being confusing. The only issue with that is that there are Five people on payroll 4 guys one girl and he is one of the guys. I used Skewter once and he asked me how is he supposed to know whether or not thats me ( scott) or another employee named doug. He just makes stuff up so he sounds smart in front of me and the other owner.

Comment

Frankly, I can see his point. How IS he supposed to know? How is payroll supposed to know?
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Skewter, is this person a cop? Is this person a lawyer? If both are "no", then tell that person that is harrassment. Notify your employer as well.

CBG, should be any problem if they notify their boss what their nickname is. Easy to document.

Same general subject but on a different level, I have been told by creditors, banks and some employers that they must have my middle name or middle initial to do business with me, and they say specifically that it's the law. Only a few have specified that it's federal law, but even banks refuse to show me the law. And I know of no such law. Does anyone know about this?
            Last edited by cactus jack; 06-17-2005, 01:29 AM.
            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
            I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
            Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Cactus Jack; and what about payroll? In many companies payroll isn't in the same building as the shop. How are they supposed to follow this? They don't have the time or the resources to go tracking down all the various bosses and ask about nicknames.

I say again, while not illegal, unless it is a clearly obvious nickname (Joe for Joseph; Kate for Katherine, etc.) the use of nicknames on a time card is inappropriate. I'm with the boss on this one.

Comment

I go with keeping the legit name at the top. Payroll is processing data, payroll people are data people, not usually the warm and fuzzy type, especially on a deadline.

Also, at the time cards are turned in payroll is at a time sensitive peak, the workers expecting their next paycheck on time won't except any excuse for it being late.

Lastly, it's very important that those checks get to the right person, no one wants that compromised. Once again, employee's don't want to hear excuses when it comes to their paychecks getting mixed up.

Comment

In that case CBG, you are correct. I asked my current employer about this, their payroll is just upstairs from where we work, and he said if people want to use their nickname, go for it. But if it's on the timecard, they can't complain about not getting paid the hours they work because the accountant doesn't know everyone. And what he asked, "what the hell does it matter about needing a nickname on a timecard? Are they showing it off to everyone to prove who they are or are they using it to get paid? No one but them and the few that actually want to get paid pay any attention to what's written on the timecards, and even then they don't care what's on your timecard." And I think that pretty much covers the whole thing. Nicks are for person to person use. Why does it have to be on a timecard?
                  Last edited by cactus jack; 06-18-2005, 01:27 PM.
                  I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                  Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                  I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                  Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Title shown its content

when I signed up terms and condition of employment,I will follow the rules by the books,be obedient,dedication,virtue toward my reponsiblity ,as to be a good worker, finishing with any personal paper works, as to be stated honestly and fully, no humourous manners included in my punch card,as this could be evidence of my puntuality or I tends not to use nickname as it could creats complication or implicate in claims purposes.The managements have the right to deceive, creates alibi (merry go around ) in settling payments Further more its could revealing my personality, mentality, intergrity,dedication towards my undertakings. Previously I worked with big establisement, employing more than 250 employee,additional to employment or staff number on the card, we are freely to indicate with short name (acceptable ones) but not nicknamed, such..skull,skunk....as I feels unfavourably /unacceptably, likely discriminating /tarnishing baptist named given or graffiting / graffitto white virgin wall) on the time card, but always confusing,not wisely to, with fewer staffs or small company (without rules,consequences) beside staff or payroll number with permanent nicknamed could be done without facing,any music
                    Last edited by shaikhmohdmusa; 06-21-2005, 05:09 AM.

Comment

where I work there are a few differences: We have time cards issued to us with our names already on them, and if a person needs to fill one out manually, they do so.

Second, we have an "identifier" not connected to our name, at our company this is our "Clock Number" which is what Payroll uses to identify us, not our name. This number remains constant no matter how many employees come and go and has been successful for the 30 yrs I have been employed there.

Maybe if your company switched to such a system the problem would take care of itself, and the name alone would not be the sole identifier.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X