This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Get My Severance Package Option Back? Help

I worked for a company in Maryland that was bought out. During the transition we were offered to take our severance package along with cashing in vacation and or sick days and go on our merry ways. We were also offered employment with the new company which would cause you to loose you severance package if you accepted a position. I accepted a job with the new company with a complete job description very similar to what i was doing. Less than a month into this new job I am finding out that my job responsibilities are no where near my old job description. Everything about my original job, new job and description has been fazed out. Is there any law protecting me from reverting back and accepting my severance pay package so that I can job hunt at my current career level instead of continuing with this company and actually being demoted? I accepted this new job based on the description that it would contain the same type of work I have been doing for over 20 years. Please help!!!!!!!

Any law? No, because there is no law that requires severance pay in the first place. You can ask the new employer if they would be willing to offer a compromise package, since you did take the job, even though it turned out to be nothing like they described.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you Patty. Does it matter that the severance package was offered by my previous employer and upon accepting a position from the new owners would cause me to lose all the benefits? I only took the position because it was offered and written to be of similar job function. Are there any laws that pertain to hiring someone with a specific job description and function, and the job not being such? I'm just wondering how I can protect myself at this point. The new company does not follow state laws on reporting and when I brought these issues to Sr. management levels, my job was threatened. With in 2 days of that, my job functions are being fazed out.

Comment

Does it matter that the severance package was offered by my previous employer and upon accepting a position from the new owners would cause me to lose all the benefits?

It's quite unlikely that your new employer is bound by what the previous employer offered with regards to severance.

Are there any laws that pertain to hiring someone with a specific job description and function, and the job not being such?

No, there aren't.

The new company does not follow state laws on reporting

What state laws on reporting are you talking about? It makes a difference.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Medicare reporting laws, and guidelines.

Comment

What is the violation?
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

There are many violations. They pertain to Medicare financial reporting guidlelines, which also determines the suspension of payments. Since I am new to the company I can't understand why they don't follow these guidelines, and how the avoid being caught in audits. Very suspicious to me. When I showed them the written guidlelines, and went to Corporate level, I was the 1 repremanded for going above the directors head. which ties back into my previous concerns of my job being eliminated and threatened. I am seeking legal counsil on this. I fear I am being set up to be terminated.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X