X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illinois lunch break

first time ever posting online - please bear with me

my spouse's company recently changed ownership. the new company has mandated an approximately 50 hour work week (6 days) for salaried employees. they have said that if a lunch "has" to be taken, to take 15-20 minutes and not to let the higher ups know that the manager is doing something personal. they have also said that if a manager works a double shift that they are still required to come in at their usual start time (8 hours later). is this standard practice and legal? thank you.

Illinois does require a 20 minute lunch break if the employee works at least a 7.5 hour day. Assuming by "salaried" you mean "exempt", however, it is questionable whether the DOL would consider this a requirement for exempt employees also since, by definition, exempt employees are expected to work whatever hours are necessary to complete their work.

It does seem rather petty to me, though, especially the statement about not letting the "higher-ups" know if you are doing anything personal on your personal lunch break. This is not unheard of, but it's pretty uncommon.

Relative to the double-shift question, as an exempt employee, we're back to whatever hours are needed to do the job.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X