X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattymd
    replied
    You don't need to pay a lawyer. File a claim with the Attorney General's Office, which serves as the Dept. of Labor in MA.

Leave a comment:

• robotscott
    replied
    Thanks for the reply!

I called MA Labor Division today and video game retail stores are not exempt so it appears I have a case.

Any advice on finding a lawyer who does this kind of work?

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    There's really no way, without considerably more detail, we can tell you if the exceptions apply to you.

What you can do is contact the MA AG's office Fair Consumer and Employment Hotline. They will be able to tell you, and they are the ones you would talk to if your employer is in violation of the law.

BTW, for posters in other states reading this, to the best of my knowledge MA stands unique in this law. If you are in any other state (and, for that matter, if you are in MA but in another industry) your employer CAN require you to work on Sundays regardless.

Leave a comment:

• robotscott
    started a topic MA Sunday Voluntary labor law

MA Sunday Voluntary labor law

Hello from MA,

I'm an assistant manager at a large retail videogame chain with more than 30 stores and at least two districts in the State of Massachusetts.
    Today my manager gave me written final notice that if I do not make myself available to work on Sundays I will be terminated.

My understanding of the blue law here is that retailers can't force employees to work on Sunday at all, but the MA labor website hints at exceptions.
    http://www.mass.gov/dos/bluelaw/

Can someone help me decipher the law and tell if any of these exceptions apply to a store like mine and if so which one.

Thanks!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X