This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN EMS requiring 24/7 on call

Can someone tell me if my EMS service can require me to carry a pager everyday when I am off and require me to call in if they send out a page needing someone to work overtime. If we don't call in we will get written up leading up to termination for not calling in. I was under the impression that days off was off. Also they are requiring us to pull days where we are on call. That is no problem but the problem is they require only the Paramedic to pull pager time and not the EMT's. SSo far every time I have been called in I have been working for EMT which is a lower trained position. Seems like they are discriminating agains Paramedics making them cover everyone elses sick time. One more thing. If the bosses make a new rule but never put it in writing can they disipline you. We have a problem with rule changes weekly but never any official ruling in writing to back up the new rules. Please help.

Can someone tell me if my EMS service can require me to carry a pager everyday when I am off and require me to call in if they send out a page needing someone to work overtime. Yes and yes.

Seems like they are discriminating agains Paramedics making them cover everyone elses sick time. Paramedic is not a protected category. If they want to require paramedics and only paramedics to cover everyone's sick time, they may.

One more thing. If the bosses make a new rule but never put it in writing can they disipline you. We have a problem with rule changes weekly but never any official ruling in writing to back up the new rules That's foolish but it's not illegal.

Nothing you describe constitutes any unlawful activities on the part of your employer - not even close. If you don't care for the terms and conditions of your employment, your recourse is to find a new job elsewhere.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X