This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hr states i am exempt

My HR manager say that I am "exempt" in employment status. I am paid salary. When I read the laws I dont fit the qualifacations of "exempt".

MY BACKGROUND
    I am not a supervisor nor am I in management. I do not have a degree or specialized certification. I do not make descisions that affect the company, policy, or people. I do very little adminstrative tasks, the most is faxing info to biomeds. I am not highly paid.
    This is what I do at work. I currently work in a technical call center for medical equipment. I take calls from hospital technicians when the equipment malfunctions, I determine if I can give them support, or if they need on-site service or maybe just a part number. This is the only decision making I do....is the unit broke or not, or what part do you need? I dont think this makes me "exempt".

ON-CALL
    I am required to carry a pager and respond to hospitals in 1 hour no matter what time of the night, weekend, or where I am with my family. I cannot conduct a "normal" life without interuptions. I am also expected to be at work on time no matter how many times I have been woken up during the night responding to ER technicians.
    I am in the office 9 to 9.5 hours a day and do on call. Even with the amount of hours I put in, if I am sick I have to use a vacation day.

QUESTIONS
    1) Am I "exempt"?
    2) If I am required to be on call and waiting for the pager to ring while at home, from the time I leave work till I return, wouldnt this be considered "engaged and waiting" ? If i dont meet the criteria for exempt, should'nt they have to pay me for all the time on call?

I am loosing out on alot of family life and owed money from this. I feel that I am being taken advantage of by management and HR is going along with it. Now they know I am questioning about it because I asked HR about my status.
    Last edited by reddtrigger; 10-20-2005, 03:50 PM. Reason: add more

Originally posted by reddtrigger
    2) If I am required to be on call and waiting for the pager to ring while at home, from the time I leave work till I return, wouldnt this be considered "engaged and waiting" ? If i dont meet the criteria for exempt, should'nt they have to pay me for all the time on call?

This is a interesting thing. I have just found out I should be compensated with over time pay. I have always been carrying a pager during the week. If this is the case I will have even more money they owe me.

Comment

Being "on call" with a pager does not mean you have to stay at home. You could go shopping, go out to dinner, go to a movie, etc. That's why you have a pager. The hours you are "sitting and waiting" does not restrict your personal activities to such an extent that the on-call time would be compenssable.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

am i exempt

Pattymd....do I qualify as exempt?

Comment

You sound nonexempt to me. Can you ask HR to show you the requirements for why they think you are exempt and how they think you meet them?
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X