This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paycheck Deductions

Hi, I have been working in the same office for over a year now. After i was there for 3 months i was given an office cell phone (all other employees there also have one) The only discussion ever about the cell phones is that if anything happened to it other then a work related thing we would have to replace them. Up until about 1 1/2 months ago (when we got another employee) we never paid anything for them. At that time my boss came to me and stated that i had used too many minutes and that he was going to charge me .75 cents for every minute i used and that he wanted the phone back. I told him i didn't think that was right considering that used the least amount of minutes out of everyone there and gave him back the phone. When i received my next paycheck he had deducted an unusually high amount from my check and wrote a note on it saying that he took out the money for the phone and that it was all paid off. Then, in my next check he did the same thing. (Noone else there has ever paid anything for their phones). Can he do this? Can he just take money out of my checks like that? Is any of this legal?

We cannot know what your arrangement is with having to pay or not pay, however from experience if the company is going to take money back(cell phone minutes) it can only be at the same rate they paid it to you or reverse in your case, I.E. .75 per minute(a little high?) for 20 minutes per pay period = $15. payroll deduction, it is not fair or legal to wipe out ones wages just to get it back faster.

Comment

The arrangement doesn't matter, Craig. Under MA law the deduction was illegal.

Poster, contact the state AG's office (they function as the DOL in this state) and file a complaint.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X