This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif.: payroll deductions & paystubs

My employer routinely deducts amounts from our paychecks for cell phones and certain equipment (both of which they classify as required for the job, purchase, & issue to us), as well as a monthly cell phone charge for "personal use". The deductions are not shown on our pay stubs as such; instead they are deducted beforehand from our expense reimbursement amounts (mileage & per diem) & we are simply reimbursed a lesser amount, i.e., there is nothing on our paystubs which reflects a deduction, nor what it is for. The company accountant says this is so they will not have negative expense reimbursement amounts on the payroll.

My questions are:
    -Does the employer need to notify us prior to the deduction, &/or get an authorization? (many of us were not told we'd have to pay for the stuff)
    -Does the employer need to itemize the deductions on our pay stubs? (otherwise we have no documentation to deduct these expenses on our taxes at the end of the year)

Since these "deductions" are from your expense reimbursements, and not from your wages, I don't see any violation of law here. You can contact the state Division of Labor Standards Enforcement to confirm, but I would not be optimistic.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

receiving payment statements oklahoma

I have been wondering about Oklahoma laws..All of my paychecks are handwritten and I have not ever received a statement concerning taxes or where my money is going..I have never received a paycheck stub!! I never signed any tax deductable information..I guess my question is..

Is my employer required to show me a statement for each pay period and and where the money is going?

Comment

soonergal, I responded to your same question in the other forum. And ignore Shawna, she's a spammer.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X