This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Environment

My manager has requested that my team log each event throughout our work day, down to the minute. I respect this in the short term, as trying to understand the length of specific tasks.

However, if this is requested on a long term basis, and not requested by other teams reporting to this manager....would this be considered a Hostile Work Environment?

The legal definition of a hostile work environment involves sexual harassment or some form of prohibited discrimination. What you have sounds like a world-class micromanager (down to minute? sheesh). While it's frustrating as heck to work for someone like that, based on the information you provided it doesn't sound like he's doing anything illegal.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by surfer07
      My manager has requested that my team log each event throughout our work day, down to the minute. I respect this in the short term, as trying to understand the length of specific tasks.

However, if this is requested on a long term basis, and not requested by other teams reporting to this manager....would this be considered a Hostile Work Environment?
      It may be a pain in the *** but this is not remotely a hostile work environment.

Comment

thanks....

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

How about the fact that it is not being required of another team that reports to the manager? Unfair or unequal treatment?

Comment

Unfair or unequal treatment? Maybe but that still doesn't make it illegal.

No laws require employers to treat all employees the same. The law simply requires that employees not be treated differently because of their membership in a protected class: age if over 40, gender, race, religion, national origin, religion, handicap and a few other things. If I want to make all the left-handed employees dance a jig at breaktime every day, I can do so. Of course all the left-handed employees are going to find new jobs and quit as fast as they can but turnover is the "free market" price an employer bears when they make legal but stupid decisions.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X