This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• labor law and drive time

My questions if employees are sent out on a job were they will be staying for a week will they have to be paid drive time. They take a company vehicle to the location where they stay in paid hotels until completion then drive back. I am just trying to figure out if they have to be paid for the time it takes to commute to the location. They are not making calls or handling any tasks during the drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I take it we're talking about nonexempt employees here. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow. I have that documentation at work.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

anybody else have any ideas

Comment

Yes non exempt employees

Comment

dsinc, you're best to wait for Patty to get back to you. She has by far the most expertise and knowledge on these sorts of wage and hour issues than any other regular responders (including myself.)

Or you can always call your State's Department of Labor and ask about this.

Comment

For nonexempt employees, the law only requires that you pay for travel time that occurs within the employee's regularly scheduled work hours, although this also includes such hours on a non-scheduled workday.

However, although it is not required by law, my experience is that most companies will pay the driver for all time driven, even if it is outside their regularly scheduled work hours, but only pay the passengers as described above.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yes I agree.

Comment

Thank You for your response.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X