This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS-Violation of Privacy

I was told by a co-worker this week that she was brought in by her supervisor and told that the company had perform a market analysis on all the positions. She got a substantial raise. She said she was told that there were 3 in the dept that did not get one. It was also explained to her that the ones that did not get a raise either were at market value or did substandard work. Two years ago, I did receive a raise when no one else did and I am assuming that that is the reason I did not receive one now. But no one in the office knew I got one 2 years ago. To me, this is a total violation of my privacy. I am humiliated to think that everyone in the office knows they got this huge raise and I did not. Am I just in this??

It was definitely poor management. However, it is not illegal.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

privacy

This could not be considered slander? It was a defamation of my character.

Comment

And what would you sue for? What monetary damages did you suffer? Being "humiliated" is not illegal. Previously you got a raise and others didn't. Now others did and you didn't. There just isn't any legal issue here.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No, this is not even remotely close to defamation. For one thing, your name was not mentioned. For another thing, you could just as easily be one who was at market value.

Defamation does not mean that someone said something negative about you and it does not mean that someone holds a different, negative opinion. It means that something that is either false or negligent was broadcast to an audience and as a result you suffered damages as the law sees damages. From what I can see, you haven't met any of the criteria, let alone all of them.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X