This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelpay in michigan

I recently traveled to a computer class out of town. I drove my own car and reported to work to sign in on my computer. I normally work from 7:30am until 4pm. I left at 7am to get to the 8am class. I returned to work at 4:50pm to sign out. My supervisor told me I didn't need to come to work and sign in as I would only be paid for my normal work hours. Do they have to pay me for the travel time? With what I have been reading, I am pretty sure I won't like your answer. Some things are legal, all though they are wrong.
    Thanks, Doug

Well, Doug, you were right, they do not legally have to pay you for the travel time outside of your regularly scheduled day in this case, although they could if they wanted to.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Doug, are you exempt or non-exempt?

If you are non-exempt, FLSA states that compensable hours include the time spent traveling to and from a temporary duty station that exceeds the time that the employee would spend traveling to and from his permanent duty station.

Citation: 5 CFR 551.422

Comment

I am non exempt.

Comment

Normally, travel time from home to work is not considered work time. There is an exception, however, if the employee has a special assignment for one day in another city, and travels outside the regular workday to get there and back, such hours are compensable. They would not be, however, if the employee travelled from home to a railroad station or airport; this applies only if the employee drives.
          http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...9cfr785.37.htm
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X