X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my employer in VA do this?

Here's the deal short and simple...

I come to work at 8am, and I'm supposed to leave at 5:30pm. I frequently get stuck here at work until 8pm at night everyday, so, essentially, I'm working 12 hour days. (60 hours per week)

I'm hired salary and I always get paid the same. Is there any way for me to force them to pay me additional for all these extra hours or maybe even give me comp time?? When I was hired, I was told this was a normal 8-5 job for a typical 40 hour week. Now things are to the point where its affecting my time with family among other things.

What can I do over this situation? Do I have any options? Are they breaking any laws? Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!!

Whether you are due additional compensation is based solely upon whether you are an exempt or nonexempt employee. "Salaried" is merely a pay method. If you are exempt, the employer legally never has to pay any additional compensation over and above your salary.

Are you exempt or nonexempt? Or do you know?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd
      Whether you are due additional compensation is based solely upon whether you are an exempt or nonexempt employee. "Salaried" is merely a pay method. If you are exempt, the employer legally never has to pay any additional compensation over and above your salary.

Are you exempt or nonexempt? Or do you know?
      I'm 99% sure I'm EXEMPT.

But even if I'm working Mon-Fri and they want to change my hours around where I'm working something like

M-F 7am-7pm
      Sat - 7am-12pm
      Sun - 6pm-10pm

The only reason they want to do this is because of the short staffing and the company is required to have someone in the office 24 hours a day. So instead of hiring someone else for those shifts, they are wanting to take the employees we have and make them fill the slots.

I just don't see where its right to add additional hours to your schedule on a regular basis for the same pay.

Comment

Are they breaking any laws? Possibly, as Virginia is a state with a "Day of Rest Statute" meaning your ER is required to give you one day off out of seven.

Is there a way to force your employer to give you higher pay or comp time? Probably not.

Is there a way for you to persuade your employer to give you higher pay or comp time? Maybe...it's been done before.

Generally, the most successful negotiations are completed by consistently high achievers that put together a well-thought out proposal...a proposal that shows not only the benefit to the employee but also to the employer.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X