This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Pay

I work at a long term care facility for MR/DD individuals in Ohio.

Prior to this past holiday, those who worked on the holiday were paid time and a half for working on the holiday and 8 hours straight time for compensation for the holiday. Starting with this past holiday (Labor Day), those who worked the holiday got paid time and a half with no further compensation: no more time off, no more pay.

Those who were scheduled off for the holiday got the day off plus paid 8 hours for it.

As I see it, those who worked got paid 8 hours for working 8 hours and 4 hours compensation for the holiday. Those who were scheduled off got 8 hours compensation for the holiday. Is this legal?
    Last edited by bhacken; 09-19-2005, 01:05 PM.

Yes. Your employer doesn't have to provide any paid holidays to begin with and if they do, they don't have to pay anyone premium pay (time and a-half) for working on the holiday.

I understand why you think their new holiday practice is unfair but it's perfectly legal.

Comment

I understand that my employer is not required to provide premium pay for work on holidays, that isn't what I was getting at.

My point is that my employer chooses to give it's employees certain holidays off with pay. Since it is a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week operation someone must work those holidays. With this new policy roughly half the hourly employees are being compensated with 8 hours of pay and the other half is being compensated with 4. That is the part I'm questioning.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Comment

Yes, it is legal. It sounds like your concern is that they are arbitrarily giving some employees 8 hours of "free" pay, because they happen to not be scheduled, and giving other employees 4 hours of "free" pay, because they happen to be scheduled.

It's unequal and unfair, almost by definition, to treat likely situated individuals differented. I agree. Nonetheless, not illegal.

Comment

My question has been answered.

Thanks to all who replied,
          bhacken

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X