Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business knowingly classifies employees as contractors. What happens?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business knowingly classifies employees as contractors. What happens?

Hi everyone, the state is Texas

My question is what specifically happens to a small business that knowingly classifies an employee as an independent contractor?

The situation was: I was working for a small business and was being paid as an independent contractor with a business check. There is absolutely no doubt that I was an employee and not an indepent contractor. Taxes were not being withheld. I have copies of the checks btw. The reason he does this of course is to save on paying employment taxes, etc.

The question is, if the owner is clearly paying employees as independent contractors, how exactly will IRS penalize him?

I know he'll have to pay back taxes. How do they figure what additional penalties he'll have to pay?

The business has being in operation for roughly 4 years. I do now know that he had done this with previous employees.

I'm going to take this to the IRS. I'm just curious as to what should I expect also.

thanks
    Jose

Independent Contractor

Take a look at this website: http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs13.htm
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X