X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois rest/lunch break laws

Hi,
    I work for a Payless shoe store in Illinois and I work every Wed. 9-5 without a lunch or any kind of break.I also work alone.I was told we can not eat in the store by the register.Thats fine but we cant go in the back store room,we have no one to help customers and make sure they dont go out with the shoes. This may happen more than once a week.What are the laws,and what can we do? I hate to say anything because they will take it out on you,by saying things to you or by not giving you time off or even not giving you hours to work.I think we all have had those kinds of boss'.

The state of Illinois requires that an employee who works a shift of 7 1/2 hours or longer, must be given a 20 minute break beginning no later than 5 hours into the work period.

http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/laws/law140.htm

You can file a complaint with the Illinois DOL if you are not being allowed to take this break. Your employer is legally prohibited from taking any adverse action against you because of this complaint.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X