This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I get my vacation and or bonus if I quit, in Virginia

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if I quit my job, does Virginia allow you to collect on your remaining vacation days and my promised bonus? Someone please tell me where I can find information on this. thanks. Tams00

I'd say you sound a bit stressed. So just go on vacation using the remainder of your paid vacation days, and if you still feel like quiting after you get back, turn in your two week notice. Sometimes the vacation time helps you get things in order.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Virginia does not require payment of accrued vacation at termination. Relative to the bonus, what does the bonus agreement/plan say? In some states, an earned bonus at the time of termination must be paid, even if the employee is terminated at the time of payment. However, in many states, this is not the case. I could not find where this was addressed in the state statutes, so you may want to call the VA Dept of Labor to inquire.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Your employer MAY pay you your unused vacation if they wish to; however, VA law does not require it.

The terms of the bonus payment will determine if that is payable.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X