Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

no time off

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • no time off

    I live in North Carolina and was wondering how many consecutive days a company can work you without a day off? I have a friend who's employer just told them that they would not have a day until Thanksgiving, starting September 6th, 2005. Also, that if they took a day off, they would get fired. I have heard that an employee can not work more than 16 consecutive days without a day off. Is this correct?

  • #2
    I searched the NC Labor laws and could not find any general requirements for a day of rest for those employees 18 years of age or older. There may be something for specific jobs, but nothing in the general law. Don't know where you heard that, but that's the problem with things you hear.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Although a small handful of states require one day out of rest out of every seven (which can mean working up to 12 days in a row, btw) North Carolina does not appear to be one of those states. That being the case, there is no limit to the number of days an employee can be required to work in succession.

      I don't know where you heard that there was a 16 day limit, but no, it is not true.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.