Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Family Member Helping Out At Work (CA)

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family Member Helping Out At Work (CA)

    My cousin & his wife run a restaurant. I sometimes go in to help out when they're short. Sometimes I'm a cook, sometimes I'm a server, sometimes I'm a host, sometimes I bus tables, sometimes I make deposits, etc. I "volunteer" my services (I get free food 24/7/365 so ... they usually don't give me cash). Do I need to be on payroll? How much can I "work" and not get them in trouble? What if they pay me (every now and then, they pay me cash)?

  • #2
    Yes you do need to be on payroll as an employee and be paid at least minimum wage and all the other wage and hour laws that apply to employees apply to you too. State and federal labor and tax agencies do not look fondly upon companies who pay their "employees" under the table, or allow "volunteers". Generally speaking, you cannot "volunteer" your time to a for-profit company.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.