Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splitting 8 hour day into two 4 hour days to avoid OT??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting 8 hour day into two 4 hour days to avoid OT??

I live in Texas and am a non-exempt healthcare worker. My normal workweek has been M-F 8 hours and I have offered to work 4hours everyother saturday as overtime due to a shortage of workers in my profession. My boss has deceided that there will be no more overtime and has told me that i HAVE to work Mon - thurs 8 hours, then half day on Friday and half day on Saturday. So , I have to drive into town 6 days a week w/ o benefit of overtime pay. I live outside the city limits and so driving into work for 2 four hour shifts is not practical any longer. Is there some kind of rule/reg that prohibits a boss from forcing you to work like this?
    thanks so much.

No, there is no law that makes this illegal. An employer is not required to allow you to work overtime. If he wants to arrange your hours so that you only work 40 hours in a week, that is perfectly legal.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X