Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

I was told that I resigned when I didn't

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was told that I resigned when I didn't

    I live in WV and I was told by my employer that I gave a oral 30 day resignation when I didn't so they paid me for the 30 days (up to Sept 29) but that I could go ahead and leave. I did not resign. Is there something that I can do about this? Also, the company's policy is not to pay sick leave when employment ceases but I know (I was payroll manager) that they did pay a VP sick leave over several payments when she left. Since this is the case, are they obligated to pay others sick leave? Please help. Thanks

  • #2
    You can apply for unemployment at the end of the month and state you were laid off or fired for reasons your not aware and see if you can collect. I don't know of anything else you can do legally.

    As for the insurance, no they don't have to pay yours, paying out coverage for a settlement package is pretty standard and happens all the time, it does not make it mandatory.


    • #3
      It's obvious they want you gone, so I agree with Sockeye on this one.

      Regarding payout of accrued sick leave, since it is not required upon termination in any state, the fact that they paid it out to a VP, as an exception to the policy, does not require them to pay it out to you. It's very possible that the VP negotiated this in his employment agreement; that's not uncommon for upper management.

      Good luck to you.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.