This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working a holiday

I am considered an exempt employee. Our payroll is due to be turned in on Sept 5 which is a company holiday. I will have to come in that day to get it all turned in. I had planned on leaving town for a long weekend and not coming back until Monday night. Do I HAVE to go in?

In the sense that no one is holding a gun to your head, no. But if you are asking whether or not the company can legally require you to work on a holiday, the answer is yes, they can. If you are asking whether you can be disciplined for refusing to come in, the answer is yes, you can; in fact you can be terminated for refusing to come in.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Everyone else in the office will be off and I have to come in? Something seems to be little off there.

Comment

That's what happens in payroll. If you're going to stay in payroll, you need to expect that.

However, I have to say that, as Sept 5 is a federal holiday, who the heck is processing your payroll that is requiring you input on a holiday? Every processor I have EVER known has always provided a holiday schedule, backing up the dates if necessary.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The thing a great many employees do not understand is that having holidays off is not a right. There are plenty of people who regularly work on holidays. Police and firemen. EMT's. Doctors, nurses and other medical personnel. Hotel clerks. Salespeople. Taxi drivers. Airline and train personnel. Holidays are some of the busiest workdays for these people.

You may certainly ASK your employer if, having worked the holiday while everyone else is off, you may take another day off later in the week. I don't think that would be unreasonable. But they are not required to agree.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

um, cbg, and Payroll Managers!
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Given the point of the thread, I kinda thought that went without saying. But yes, also payroll managers, and often hr managers as well.

Comment

The only holidays I can ever count on are Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Comment

Sockeye, I have to admit I've never had to work Christmas or Thanksgiving either. But New Year' Day? Labor Day? Memorial Day? BTDT

Comment

It was a long time ago, but I even remember coming in on Thanksgiving once to input - yes, Patty - payroll information.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X