Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Up against the Wal

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Up against the Wal

    Hello from Alabama. I began working a part-time (second) nonexempt job in 1998 with the world's largest retailer. At the time, the company's policy was that 28 hours a week or more constituted full-time employment. For three years I worked with part-time status, no benefits, while consistently clocking 30-36 hour work weeks. I did not complain, and have no grievance. Eventually, however, the company changed my status to full-time, and my work week leveled off to approx. 32 hours. Soon thereafter, company policy changed to required 34 hours for full time status. I was told, however, that I would be grandfathered in because I had been hired under the old policy.

    All was OK until now. The company has now removed all authority for making schedules from its managers and computerized the system, eliminating unique shifts such as mine (6 p.m. - 10 p.m. M-Th/2 p.m. - 8 p.m. Fri./7 a.m. - 3 p.m. Sat.-Sun.) and creating a set, three-shift system. Under this new system which goes into effect Sept. 1, my hours have been cut to 21 hours a week, and I stand to lose (in addition to considerable money) all benefits. Besides quitting, do I have any recourse?

  • #2
    Unless you have a bona fide contract which guarantees you the hours and the shifts you have been working, no, you don't.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Up against the Wal

      That's not what I wanted to hear, but it's what I expected! Thanks.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.