X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sockeye
    replied
    Originally posted by s9312
    Ok, I know that if an employee's break is less than 20 minutes, then it must be paid. I require my employees to take a 30 minute break if they work for 8 hours or more (for their own sanity as well as keeping my payroll down) but if they work less than that it is up to them. I allow them a 30 minute break for any shift longer than 4 hours. My question is, if they CHOOSE to take only 15 or 20 minutes, is it paid or unpaid? And if I require them to take a 30 minute break, but the clock in early, is that causing me to break the law by not paying them for a 20 minute break?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    If the choose or don't choose to take a 15 or 20 monute break they MUST be paid.

IF you require them to take a 30 monute break, then they don't have to be paid even if they clock out early.

Nebraska doesn't require breaks or meals for workers 18 or over, so it's your policy which counts. The only thing you have to worry about is paying them if the breaks are 20 minutes or less. The smart thing to do is be consistant, that keeps the workers from making issues of it. It's understandable if you require someone scheduled 8 hours to clock out for 30 minutes and the situation changes and they end their shift earlier.

Leave a comment:

• s9312
    started a topic paid/unpaid breaks in nebraska

paid/unpaid breaks in nebraska

Ok, I know that if an employee's break is less than 20 minutes, then it must be paid. I require my employees to take a 30 minute break if they work for 8 hours or more (for their own sanity as well as keeping my payroll down) but if they work less than that it is up to them. I allow them a 30 minute break for any shift longer than 4 hours. My question is, if they CHOOSE to take only 15 or 20 minutes, is it paid or unpaid? And if I require them to take a 30 minute break, but the clock in early, is that causing me to break the law by not paying them for a 20 minute break?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X