This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension from work

my son works in a business in the state of hawaii, and was recently suspended from work. i have a few questions
    1) they withheld his paycheck, until he returned his keys.
    2) we was not told about his suspension until he went to get his paycheck, this is how he found out.
    3) there is not written record of his suspension, nor a return date to work.
    4) they didnot tell him he is terminated, but in past practice this is how this company has done.( most of them decided to quit due to no work)
    5) he has another paycheck for 1 week of work, but from former employees,
    he is not likely to get paid for that.
    6) should he just look for another job, and when they decide to call him back, to
    tell them he has antoher job.
    7) this incident resulted from sharing a cash drawer with a fellow co-worker, and their drawer came out short. they was just short in telling them of stealing cash out of the drawer, but the video camera's that is right above them showed that they didnot pocket the money. because of this incident, they got suspended from work.

1. That may have been a violation. However, since he has since received his check, I doubt the state DOL would take the complaint.

2. That's not illegal.

3. That's not illegal either.

4. Not illegal.

5. If he was discharged (vs. quitting) he must be paid no later than the next work day. However, if he has not yet been terminated, he has to wait until the next regularly scheduled payday. He can't file a complaint in advance, assuming something will happen.

6. Why not?

7. Being suspended because he was being investigated, or even if the video showed he didn't take the money, is not illegal.

Now, I'm not saying that any one or all of these things are not exceptionally poor management actions, but so far, nothing has transpired that is illegal, except #1, but with the caveat I mentioned.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X